Features and Highlights
Password Depot is a powerful and very user-friendly password manager which helps to organize all of your passwords – but also, for instance, information from your credit cards or software licenses.
The software provides security for your passwords – in three respects: It safely stores your passwords, guarantees a secure data use and helps you to create secure passwords.
However, Password Depot does not only guarantee security: It also stand for convenient use, high customizability, marked flexibility in terms of interaction with other devices and, last but not least, extreme functional versatility.
- Best possible encryption . In Password Depot, your information is encrypted not merely once but in fact twice, thanks to the algorithm AES or Rijndael 256. In the US, this algorithm is approved for state documents of utmost secrecy!
- Double protection. You can secure your passwords files twice. To start with, you select a master password that has to be entered in order to be able to open the file. Additionally, you can choose to protect your data by means of a key file that must be uploaded to open the file.
- Protection against brute-force attacks. After every time the master password is entered incorrectly, the program is locked for three seconds. This renders attacks that rely on the sheer testing of possible passwords – so called “brute-force attacks” – virtually impossible..
- Lock function. This function locks your program and thereby denies unauthorized access to your passwords. The locking conditions are determined by you yourself, for instance every time the program has not been used for a certain time.
- Backup copies. Password Depot generates backup copies of your passwords files. The backups may be stored optionally on FTP servers on the Internet (also via SFTP) or on external hard drives. You can individually define the time interval between the backup copies’ creation.
- Protection from keylogging. All password fields within the program are internally protected against different types of interception of keystrokes (Key Logging). This disables that your sensible data entries can be spied out.
- Traceless Memory. Dealing with your passwords, Password Depot does not leave any traces in your PC's working memory. Therefore, even a hacker sitting directly at your computer and searching through its memory dumps cannot find any passwords.
- Clipboard protection: Password Depot automatically detects any active clipboard viewers and masks its changes to the keyboard; after performing auto-complete, all sensitive data is automatically cleared from the clipboard.
- Virtual keyboard. The ultimate protection against keylogging. With this tool you can enter your master password or other confidential information without even touching the keyboard. Password Depot does not simulate keystrokes but instead uses an internal cache, so that they can neither be intercepted software- nor hardware-based.
- Fake mouse cursors. Typing, using the program’s virtual keyboard, you can also set the program to show multiple fake mouse cursors instead of your usual single cursor. This additionally makes it impossible to discern your keyboard activities.
- Uncrackable passwords. The integrated Password Generator creates virtually uncrackable passwords for you. Thus in future, you will not have to use passwords such as “sweetheart” anymore, a password that may be cracked within minutes, but e.g. "g\/:1bmVuz/z7ewß5T$x_sb}@<i". Even the latest PCs can take a millenium to crack this password!
- Verified password quality. Let Password Depot check your passwords' quality and security! Intelligent algorithms will peruse your passwords and warn you against ‘weak’ passwords which you can subsequently replace with the help of the Passwords Generator.
- Password policies. You can define basic security requirements that must be met by all passwords which are added or modified. For instance, you can specify the passwords’ minimum length and the characters contained therein.
- Security warnings. Password Depot contains a list of warnings which always keep an eye on your passwords’ security. For instance, the program warns you in case you use the unsafe FTP protocol and in this case advices you to use SFTP instead.
- Protection against dictionary attacks. An important warning featured in Password Depot is the notification in case you are using unsafe passwords. These are passwords which are frequently used, therefore appear in hacker dictionaries and are easily crackable.
- Warning against password expiry. You can set Password Depot to warn you before your passwords expire, for instance before the expiry date of your credit card. This ensures that your password data always remains up-to-date and valid.
Password Depot is very easy to use and spares you a lot of work.
- User-friendly interface. Password Depot’s user interface is similar to that of Windows Explorer. This allows you to effectively navigate through your password lists and to quickly find any password you happen to be searching for.
- Auto-completion. If you wish, Password Depot automatically fills in your password data into websites opened within the common browsers. This function runs via an internal setting on the one hand, and via so called Browser Add-ons on the other hand.
- Automatic recognition. You can set the program to automatically recognize which password information corresponds to the website you have called up and to then pre-select this password entry for you – as well as, if desired, to finally automatically fill this information into the website.
- Top bar. The program's form can be reduced to a narrow bar whose position may be individually determined: whether freely movable or stuck to the screen edge (Application Desktop Toolbar). In this way, the software is always at your disposal without disturbing you.
- Direct opening of websites. URLs belonging to password entries saved in Password Depot may be opened directly from within the program. This spares you the hassle of having to manually copy website addresses and then paste them into your browser.
- Usage via mouse click. Accessing your password information may be done super easily via simple clicks with your mouse cursor. By means of a single mouse click, you can copy data to the clipboard and can even drag it directly into the target field on the website.
- Hotkeys. Pasword Depot features keyboard shortcuts for regularly commands in Windows (“Hotkeys”). By means of these hotkeys, you can easily turn Password Depot’s format into a top bar or send it into the foreground when minimized into the system tray.
- Unicode support. Password Depot supports Unicode, the international standard defining a digital code for every character. This allows you to use international characters such as “ä” or “ç” within your password information.
- Recycle bin. Password Depot features a recycle bin that stores deleted password data and enables them to be restored. In this way, data you may have accidentally deleted, for instance, is yet not lost irrevocably.
You can configure Password Depot individually and in this way adapt it precisely to your needs.
- Configurable program options. Thanks to many program options, Password Depot may be individually configured to the slightest detail – not only in view of its external layout, but also regarding its internal functions such as the use of browsers or networks.
- Custom browsers. You can determine yourself which browsers you would like to use within the program. This way, you are not bound to common browsers such as Firefox or Internet Explorer but can also use Opera, for example.
- Individual user modes. As a new user, you can work with only a few functions in the Beginner Mode, whereas as an expert you can use all functions in the Expert Mode or can outline your own demands in the Custom Mode.
- Personal favorites. The list of favorites contains the passwords you use most frequently. As you will most likely want to have this regularly used data always on hand, the list of favorites may be accessed directly via the top bar.
- Custom fields. You can extend the existing data input fields by any number of self-defined fields. This is possible both for a single password entry (“Custom Field”) as well as for the entire passwords file (“Global Field”).
- Password icons. You can save icons for your password entries enabling you to easily find and identify them. These icons are even available if you open your passwords file on a different PC as they are saved directly within the passwords file.
- Individual safety warnings. You yourself can determine the warnings you would like Password Depot to show and which ones not to display. Additionally, you may individually set whether the program should warn you in case your passwords expire and, if yes, how many days prior to the expiry.
- Password statistics. Clear statistics show at a glance how often you have used which password. In this way, you might also realize which entries you do not use at all and can therefore delete them in order to keep your passwords file up-to-date.
Password Depot is able to work together with a range of other applications, flexibly and without problems.
- Server module.Password Depot features a separate server model enabling several users to access the same passwords simultaneously. Accessing password files may run either via a local network or via the Internet.
- USB stick. You can copy both your password files and the program Password Depot itself onto a USB stick. In this way, you can carry the files and the software along wherever you go, always having them available to use.
- Cloud devices. Password Depot supports web services, among them GoogleDrive, OneDrive, Dropbox and Box. In this way, Password Depot enables you to quickly and easily enter the Cloud!
- Password files on the Web. You can optionally deposit your encrypted password files on the Internet. By this means, you can always access your passwords, no matter where you are! To access, you can use the protocols HTTP, HTTPS, FTP or SFTP as required
- TAN support. Password Depot supports the input and management of TAN numbers. In this way, it facilitates the life of all of those users that refer to online banking, securely storing their sensible banking data.
- URL placeholders. You can replace any number of characters by placeholders, namely an asterisk (*) by entering URLs into Password Depot. By using this symbol, you can thus match several URLs to a single password entry instead of having to enter one entry for each URL.
Password Depot can do a lot more than ‘only’ securing and managing your passwords…
- Cards, identities, licenses. Password Depot protects and manages not only your passwords but also your information from credit cards, EC cards, software licenses and identities. Each information type offers a separate model, with e.g. the credit card window featuring a PIN field.
- File attachments. You may add file attachments containing e.g. additional information to your password entries. These attachments can be opened directly from within Password Depot and may additionally be saved on data storage media.
- Transfer passwords. You can import both password entries from other password managers into Password Depot as well as export entries from Password Depot. To do so the software offers you special wizards that facilitate importing and exporting password information.
- Synchronize password files. Password Depot supports you in synchronizing two different password files. This is relevant e.g. if you are using a single passwords file on two different PCs. This being said, the file synchronization works in both directions.
- Clean-up password files. This function discovers password entries that you have not used for a long time or have even already expired. Afterwards, the found entries can be directly deleted. This guarantees that your passwords files always remain up-to-date.
- Search for password entries. By means of this function, you can search any character string within your passwords file – no matter if within the passwords themselves or within e.g. their descriptions and URLs. To refine your results you are able to limit the search to specific areas.
- Encrypt external files. Password Depot permits you to encrypt external files and to then directly save them as individual entries within the software. In this way, Password Depot enables you to make confident documents inaccessible to third parties.
- Self-extracting files. When encrypting external data by means of Password Depot, you can additionally generate encrypted self-extracting files. This method enables other people who do not have Password Depot to also decrypt the core files.
Delete external files. With Password Depot you can delete external files, regardless of their format. In doing so, the software does not leave any traces on your hard disk which means that the files cannot be restored by any application.